May 06, 2010

Rats in the Race by Qodebreaker

Maybe this is a rant, maybe I am just tired of running and running. They said I should excel in primary school so that I go to secondary school and then I get to college. They said I should finish college so I get a job.

I got a bachelors degree, then got a professional certification and a Masters on top. They also said I should get married and have many kids preferably a girl and a boy. Now they say I should buy or build a house, have a great car preferably a Mercedes. My house should have furniture from Nasr Egyptian furniture, an HD flat screen TV, HD PVR from Multichoice fully paid up to watch all the mind numbing offerings it has like how people committed murder on Crime and Investigation Network or Forbes 25 most richest under 30s, watch people humiliate themselves on Idols and be a peeping tom while watching Big Brother.

Now they say I should get an international job, move my family to a strange land where we will be isolated but hooray for the international school education my children will get and the dollars I will accumulate besides the prestige of being “outside”.

It’s the many things they never taught me in school and the many things these people don’t say that matter. The questions we do not ask

“Why should I become wealthy?”

“What is most important in my life?”

“What am I willing to do, to give up, to give for the dreams that I have?”

“Whose dreams am I pursuing?”

“Whose person am I becoming?”

“What is wealth?”

“What is success?”

“What is happiness?”

There is no time to sit back and think on these things. The bandwagon is moving fast. You cant stand in the middle of the road or you will get run over. So we just give up on reflection and just go with the masses, stuck between strangers and familiars all after the fable of the cheese at the end of the road.

Sometimes one raises their head and sees other rats on the side, not running nibbling on seemingly smaller and not as succulent cheese and the gnawing suspicion that maybe they already have arrived and we are pursuing an illusion.

Today is what I have for sure, I'll meet tomorrow and its cares after I sleep tonight.

3 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 06, 2010

    Wow! Insight and perspective. And the courage to slam your foot on the breaks (one hopes?) Well done, you! When you are in the race, and look up from your own path, all you see ahead of you are the backsides of other rats...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Wisdom's mum and today 27th February, 2012 Wisdom is 3 months gone! But Wisdom lives on through good people -the Writers Club, keep writing about the Qodesh for he lives on. I am no writer but my son was. He made me proud and he could write the foreign language with wisdom that he was Wisdom. I miss him so much as you all do. He was the son so rare a person, so humble, dedicated, principled, friend, brother in Christ, my concerns were his! Can you imagine that? He was a God given gift that God himself took him to Himself. I miss the wisdom of Wisdom. RIP my son, but God child. How is the "King" you saw, how the 'rapping' for the children you heard singing? Things fell in place for you but we did not know what things. I miss you dear son. Mum, Masteni these I were to you and much more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will keep you posted of future plans because Wisdom must live on. He left so much to be forgotten. He wrote emails on leadership, Integrity, Communication, Finance, Advice that I want to share with others for there is a wealth of information and advice from the man called Wisdom that we can all learn from. RIP Wiz, mum

    ReplyDelete