September 23, 2009

REBOUND by Qodebreaker

In the golden valley where lay Nerfetiti, Tutankhamun, Ramses I and Seti II, in collosal wedges pointing to the sky. In the land of the fertile Nile under the eye of Ra, there I walked.

A pharaoh young and powerful. At my word people were raised or humbled. There I built palaces befitting my glory and power.

I was a god among mortals. I was like the child of Horus, the blood of Amun.
But irony is a cruel queen of fate. From the Nile's fertility came an insect so small, its fecund bloodthirsty kiss was the Osiris' kiss of death. In fits of fevers my life expired.

Egypt mourned the extinguished life of a young pharaoh for forty days as my embalmed body lay in state, shrouded by linen cloth treated to preserve my body for ages. A mummy but devoid of life or life giving essence.

They laid me in the Valley of the Kings, in a pyramid filled with treasures that I would use in my next life.

Three days after my burial, the jade scarab beetle that was placed on my chest burrowed its way into my heart and the life of the Son made me live again. Quickened I was now as one, the Living dead. Soon accustomed to the surroundings and tired of the mausoleum celebrating a life gone, I pushed my way out of the sarcophagus.

Through secret passageways I walked, and out through a hidden trap door till my eyes saw the sun again reflected on harsh sands that stretched for miles and miles on end.

My laughter was dry and haughty, fists raised in defiance to Osiris. I lived. My hands sought the linen cloth chains that bound me so I could undo them. As the chords unravelled, to my horror my skin exposed to the elements began to shrivel and I saw Osiris' death touch creeping all over me again.

So for days I transversed the expanse of the desert till I came worn out to the Temple of The Phoenix God, who died and rose again. There I met Him, the God who lived among mortals, the High Priest, falling to my knees I cried, "Here is my life, slowly being lost, here are the strips of linen I undid to my own undoing. High priest of the Creator God I need to be rebound".

Qodebreaker

3 comments:

  1. i like this.
    so you found out that your chains were actually your protection?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello guys,
    i am in a fix. i'm looking for quality short story contributions from the group for the Weekend Nation's short story page. 800 words only. we pay, K2,500.
    hit me up: mcbrams@nationmw.net

    ReplyDelete